By Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Nathaniel DesRosiers, Shira L. Lander, Jacqueline Pastis, Daniel Ullucci
Rejoice a trailblazer within the components of ladies and faith, Jews and Judaism, and earliest Christianity within the old Mediterranean
Ross Kraemer is Professor Emerita within the division of spiritual reviews at Brown college. This quantity of essays, conceived and produced through scholars, colleagues, and acquaintances bears witness to the breadth of her personal scholarly pursuits. individuals contain Theodore A. Bergren, Debra Bucher, Lynn Cohick, Mary Rose D’Angelo, Nathaniel P. DesRosiers, Robert Doran, Jennifer Eyl, Paula Fredriksen, John G. Gager, Maxine Grossman, Kim Haines-Eitzen, Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Jordan Kraemer, Robert A. Kraft, Shira L. Lander, Amy-Jill Levine, Susan Marks, E. Ann subject, Renee Levine Melammed, Susan Niditch, Elaine Pagels, Adele Reinhartz, Jordan Rosenblum, Sarah Schwarz, Karen B. Stern, Stanley ok. Stowers, Daniel Ullucci, Arthur Urbano, Heidi Wendt, and Benjamin G. Wright.
- Articles that research either old and glossy texts in cross-cultural and trans-historical perspective
- Twenty-eight unique essays on historical Judaism, Christianity, and girls within the Greco-Roman world
Read or Download A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer PDF
Best ancient civilizations books
The current quantity provides many of the most up-to-date learn tendencies within the examine of past due Antiquity within the japanese Roman Empire from a multi-disciplinary viewpoint, encompassing not just social, financial and political background, but in addition philology, philosophy and criminal background. the amount makes a speciality of the interplay among the outer edge and the middle of the japanese Empire and the kinfolk among jap Romans and Barbarians in numerous geographical components, in the course of the approximate millennium that elapsed among the autumn of Rome and the autumn of Constantinople, with particular awareness paid to the sooner interval.
This quantity emerges from a consultation honoring Walter E. Rast and R. Thomas Schaub held throughout the 2003 Annual assembly of the yankee faculties of Oriental learn in Atlanta, Georgia and contains increased models of a number of the papers awarded in that consultation. by way of amassing in Atlanta, and via partaking during this quantity, the members honor the careers and scholarly passions of Walt and Tom, whose paintings in southern Levantine archaeology all started within the Sixties once they have been younger students operating with Paul Lapp.
This collection's significant thesis is easy: long-distance communique performs a key function within the unity and balance of early states and in flip, those states make investments seriously in long term communique techniques and networks. As trustworthy and speedy long-distance communique allows the profitable delegation of strength from the centre to the neighborhood administrations, the production and upkeep of the mandatory infrastructure to help it is a key technique of the important nation.
- The Many-Headed Muse: Tradition and Innovation in Late Classical Greek Lyric Poetry
- The Architectural History of Canterbury Cathedral
- Adventures of the Treasure Fleet. China Discovers the World
- The Two Eyes of the Earth: Art and Ritual of Kingship between Rome and Sasanian Iran (Transformation of the Classical Heritage)
Additional info for A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer
F. 53; Münster: Aschendorff, 2008), 71–148. 2 But this is not comparable: sister is still a strong kinship relationship, whereas Paul denies any relationship. Denied any relationship to a man in a strange town, a young woman alone on the street of a Greek town falls into the category of a prostitute, as she is neither at her home nor accompanied by a male relative nor married. No wonder Alexander thinks he can take her away. By shaming the local official in charge of arranging the games, Thecla perhaps loses a further relationship.
11. The characterization of Nerkella in Acts Phil. V–VII as a rich Jewish woman is unique in the apocryphal acts genre. With the exception of Mariamne, who appears in the martyrdom section of the Acts of Philip as Philip’s sister, nowhere else in this genre do we see Jewish women. As noted above, we do see some Jewish detractors in the apocryphal acts, but we do not see Jewish women actively participating in either the opposition or their conversion. 12. One wonders whether this focus on material possessions is also a swipe at Jews.
Snyder rejects this proposal (Acts of Paul 143 n. 154) and suggests, rather implausibly, that the first mention could mean either that she struck herself or that she cast off her loincloth. Doran: Thecla and the Governor 19 that flashed around (περιήστραψεν) Paul on the road to Damascus (Acts 9:2), and that tongues of fire came upon the apostles at Pentecost (Acts 2:3). 6 When Alexander has Thecla bound by her feet between two bulls and sets red-hot irons beneath their penises, this flame around Thecla burns the ropes and she is free.
A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer by Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Nathaniel DesRosiers, Shira L. Lander, Jacqueline Pastis, Daniel Ullucci